Coola Post Primary overcome Scoil Ruain in six goal thriller and penalties



Sligo kept their Coola to Tipp penalty shoot-out

Bank of Ireland FAI Schools First Year ‘B’ Boys Cup Semi Final

(‘B’ Cup caters for small schools)


Tuesday, April 12, 2016


Coola Post Primary School, Sligo 3 – 3 Scoil Ruáin, Killenaule (AET) Coola PPS won 3-1 on pens

Johnny Kenny (15), Paul Mahon (45), Ciaran McKeon (60+20)               Kyle Shelly (19), (55), (60+17)


It was an action packed six goal thriller in Athlone IT this afternoon as Connacht Champs Coola Post Primary School and Munster stars Scoil Ruáin couldn’t be separated in this epic encounter.


Both schools were relevantly new to these National Cup proceedings but they definitely put on an excellent showcase for the travelling supporters.


The inspiring Johnny Kenny sparked into life within the first ten minutes and had two brilliantly weighted passes set up nicely for him courtesy of Kennedy and Flynn but Kyle McNamara was ever present to divert the danger.


Then seconds later, at the other end of the park, skipper Kyle Shelly’s free header smashed off the crossbar following a well worked corner for the Tipp side 12 minutes in.


A counter attack moments later saw Lee Deignan’s long range set piece dip just over the upright.


The breakthrough came half way through the first period as ace striker Johnny Kenny converted from close range for a splendid opener.


Their advantage was short lived as four minutes later the equalizer arrived as Captain Kyle Shelly saw his long range effort drift into an open goal.


The goal tally grew in the second half as defender Paul Mahon headed home from a Lee Deignan corner to make it 2-1 to the Sligo side with 45 minutes on the clock.


Alex Maher had previously made a last ditch clearance to deny the energetic Johnny Kenny and the youngster was unfortunate not to grab a third goal for Coola as their well worked passage of play saw the ball brush off the post and into McNamara’s arms. That goal could have wrapped up things for the Sligo school but the dynamic of the match changed following this patch.


Momentum was with Scoil Ruáin and their hard work and determination was rewarded five minutes from time as up popped Shelly for his second of the afternoon and the all-important equalizer.


FT 2-2


The goals were again flowing in additional time but it took the second period of extra time for Kyle Shelly to put his side ahead seven minutes in! An impressive hat-trick for the defender who usually plays in goal for his Club.


3-2 now to Paul White’s men as only three minutes remained.


Again Coola showed great control in possession and skillfully set up their Captain Ciaran McKeon to head home for the magically equalizer, 3-3 at the death!  


It was the lottery of spot-kicks and as both goalkeepers picked up knocks between the sticks, Scoil Ruain’s hat-trick hero Shelly stepped into goal for Kyle McNamara. Likewise Coola’s sub keeper Gareth Keville was replaced by their second goalscorer Paul Mahon. It was hard to keep up with all the action as teachers McCarthy and White deliberated on who would step up for the shoot-out.


Scoil Ruain went first and goalkeeper Shelly converted confidently for his side. Lee Deignan who impressed throughout proceedings, made it all square from his attempt. Surprisingly, Paul Mahon made the first of three saves as he denied Lee. Johnny Kenny made it 2-1 from the spot with his conversion. Again Mahon stopped Maher’s effort. Scoil Ruáin got a lifeline when Conor Kearns shot was saved by Shelly. But Mahon was on hand to divert Lahert’s strike and Conor Healy made no mistake for their fourth spot kick to take the tie out of Killenaule’s reach. Bitter disappointment for the Tipperary School but scenes of jubilation for Coola as their supporters packed the pitch to ensure empathic scenes of celebration.


Kevin McCarthy’s men will await the winners of the other semi-final. This fixture is scheduled for Friday as Ulster qualifiers Pobalscoil Ghaoth Dobhair (Gweedore) wait patiently to see who comes through the delayed provincial decider in Leinster as Dublin Oak Academy, Bray face off against Gaelcholáiste Cheatharlach, Carlow tomorrow. Newbridge Town FC will play host to this encounter with a 12.30pm kick off pencilled in.


The Bank of Ireland FAI Schools First Year ‘B’ Boys National Cup Final will take place on Wednesday, April 27, KO 1pm in a neutral venue. McCarthy and McGoldrick will have plenty of time to work with their players ahead of this crunch encounter.


COOLA POST PRIMARY SCHOOL, SLIGO: Aaron Mulvey, Brian O’Connor, Aaron McKenna, Paul Mahon, Ciaran McKeon (Captain), Jason McGoldrick, Luke Kennedy, Lee Deignan, Johnny Kenny, Conor Healy, Thomas Flynn.

SUBS: Conor O’Boyle for Kennedy (24) & Kenny (69), Daniel Murphy for Kennedy (64), Oran McKenna, Diarmuid Gilmartin, Conor Kearns for O’Connor (34), Niall Whelehan, Gareth Keville GK for Mulvey (30), Kennedy for Flynn (48), Kenny for O’Boyle (72)

TEACHER: Kevin McCarthy PRINCIPAL: Damien McGoldrick


SCOIL RUÁIN, KILLENAULE: Kyle McNameara, Cillian Lahart, Alex Maher, Eathan Coen, Matthew Gleeson, Eoin Walsh, AJ Dunne, Thomas O’Brien, Jamie Lee, Kyle Shelly (Captain), Jack Hassett

Subs: Luke Forth, Luke Fox, Mark McCormack, Michael Blackmore, Eoin O’Brien

TEACHER: Paul White


REFEREE: Mark Murphy (Sligo)